The Palace of Kangla is an old palace at Imphal in Manipur (Kangleipak). It was situated on both sides (western and eastern) of the bank of the Imphal River. But now it remains only on the western side of the bank. Only the ruins remain now. Kangla means "dry land" in old Meetei. It was the traditional seat of the past Meetei rulers of Manipur.
The main entrance of the Kangla Fort in Imphal.
An artist's impression of the old Palace Gate or main gate of the fort.
'Kangla' was the ancient capital of Manipur from the ancient times down to the year 1891 AD. It is located at the heart of the Imphal city almost intersected by 24°N Latitude, 94°E Longitude and it is 2,619 feet (798 m) above mean sea level. It is situated on the western bank of the Imphal River.
In ancient times, 'Kangla' was the royal palace since the reign of Pakhangba who ascended the throne in 33 AD, according to "Cheitharol Kummaba", the royal Chronicle of Manipur.
In pre-Pakhangba period, a ruling clan named Khaba ruled from 'Kangla'. 'Kangla' is not only the seat of political power but also a holy place for religious worship and ceremonies. There are a number of ancient treaties/manuscripts especially "Sakoklamlen" "Chinglon Laihui", "Nunglon" etc., which lay down the rules for the construction, worship, ceremonies relating to 'Kangla'.these palace was surrounded by a huge channel called"kangla pat"